You can now synchronize your personal counter across all of your devices. Track the impact your searches are having and never lose your trees again!
How to sync your personal counter
1) Go to the ecosia.org homepage on your computer.
2) Click on your personal counter and select ‘Sign in’. The number displayed here is the number of searches that will sync with your other devices.
3) Enter your email address to receive a magic link. This magic link is used to authorize your personal counter. The link is only valid for 15 minutes.
4) You should now have received an email from Ecosia. Click the ‘Sign in’ button within the email. Or copy the URL provided into the address bar of your browser.
5) You’ve now successfully synced your personal counter! Now it’s time to connect your other devices.
6) To sync your counter with the Ecosia app, go to the email we sent you on your mobile device and click on the “sign in” button again. Visit ecosia.org in the Ecosia app to make sure your personal counters have synced. If not, you can click on the tree counter again to send another magic link to your mobile. Make sure you use the same email address to sync your counters together.
Frequently asked questions
How does the magic link work?
Magic links are the safest and most privacy-friendly way to save and sync your personal counter, without needing a password to log in.
When you provide your email address, we send you a magic link via email. This process creates an anonymous identifier which we use to sync the counter across separate devices together. At no point do we store your email address, we only ask for your email so we can register your search count from one device and sync this to another.
Once you receive the magic link you have 15 minutes to open this link across your devices. You can always click the “sign in” button again anytime to be sent a new link.
Why do I have to give you my email address?
When you apply for a magic link, we use the email address you provide to create an unique identifier, which can not be decrypted – even by Ecosia. We only ask for your email address so we can authenticate your search counter and anonymously associate two or more devices with each other.
Can Ecosia delete my email?
No, because we do not store any email address in the first place. When you apply for a magic link we send you an email to create an anonymous identifier. At no point do we hold your email address on file.
Can Ecosia delete my account?
No, syncing your personal counter across devices does not mean you have created an account with Ecosia. When you apply for a magic link we send you an email to create an anonymous identifier. At no point do we hold your email address on file. So there’s no account to be deleted.
Can I merge two accounts?
No, each tree counter is anonymously associated with an email address. It is not possible to sync the counter of two different email addresses. But you can always add new devices to an existing account, using the same email.
Which browsers is the feature compatible with?
You can synchronize your counter on all browsers and devices. Visit Ecosia.org, click on your search counter and follow the steps.
Why did I get signed out?
If your counter has been reset this could be because your browser cleared its cookies. Visit Ecosia.org → click on the personal counter → enter the same email you used previously → click the magic link in the email to restore our trees!
I don’t have access to my email address anymore, what should I do?
If you no longer have access to the email you used to sync, please sync your counter with another email address that you have access to.
How can I recover my personal counter?
In order to recover your search count please follow the guide above using the same email address you used to first sync your counter.
If you cannot remember the email address you used, please feel free to sync your counter to a different email address.