Ecosia’s extension will stop working in the Safari browser. Here’s what you need to do
Apple’s next update will remove all Safari extensions from your desktop browser, including the Ecosia extension. Safari is moving to a new model for browser extensions and it will no longer be possible to make Ecosia your default search engine. Apple is offering Safari Mac App Extensions as an alternative, and you can update to the new Ecosia Mac App Extension straight away. It is supported by the latest version, Safari 12.1.
Unfortunately, the new Ecosia Safari Mac App Extension will not offer the same functionality as our previous extension. There will be no way of searching with Ecosia through the search bar, instead you will access Ecosia via an icon in the browser bar.
What can I do?
Step 1: Install Ecosia Mac App Extension
Step 2: Set ecosia.org as your homepage
Step 3: Stay up-to-date
Step 1: Install the new Ecosia Mac App Extension
- Click on this Install button to navigate to Mac App Store
- Download Ecosia Extension from the App Store and open the app
- To proceed with the install flow, click on Go to Safari preferences and make sure the new Ecosia App Extension is checked
- Open Safari Browser, click on the little icon in the browser bar. You can now use Ecosia by searching directly from the tooltip
Step 2: Change your homepage to Ecosia in Safari
- Click on Safari in the top Apple menu, and then select Preferences
- Next to New windows open with, open the drop down menu and select Homepage
- Next to New tabs open with, open the next drop down menu and select Homepage
- Type www.ecosia.org into the box next to Homepage
- Your changes are saved!
Step 3: Stay up-to-date
Sign up to the newsletter to get notified about any future changes to Ecosia Mac App Extension, and updates regarding Ecosia becoming a default search option in Safari.
Why isn’t Ecosia a default search option in Safari?
It is not currently possible to set Ecosia as your default search engine in Safari, but we are in contact with Apple to change this. You can help by writing to Apple to let them know that you want to use Ecosia as a default search option in Safari.
Which other browsers allow me to plant trees with Ecosia?
We want to thank you for searching and planting trees with Ecosia. We hope to offer a better alternative soon!