Ecosia’s extension will stop working in the Safari browser. Here’s what you need to do
Apple’s next update will remove all Safari extensions from your desktop browser, including the Ecosia extension. Safari is moving to a new model for browser extensions and it will no longer be possible to make Ecosia your default search engine. Apple is offering Mac App Extensions as an alternative, and you can update to Ecosia's Mac App 4.0.3 extension straight away. It is supported by the latest Safari version, 12.1.
Does the Ecosia Mac App offer the same functionality as the old Safari extension?
Unfortunately, our new Mac App 4.0.3 has limitations that will affect your search experience. There will be no way of accessing Ecosia through your search bar, instead you will be sent to the default search engine that is set in your browser settings. Ecosia is not currently included as a default search option in Safari. We are working hard on an improved version of our Mac App to ensure the search bar functions properly.
How to install the new Ecosia Mac App Extension
- Click on this Install button to navigate to Mac App Store
- Download the Ecosia Extension from the App Store and open the app
- To proceed with the install flow, click on Go to Safari preferences and make sure the new Ecosia App Extension is checked
- Tick the box for the new MacApp 4.0.3 When the old extension and the MacApp are shown in your preferences, then make sure to tick both checkboxes
- Open Safari Browser, click on the little icon in the browser bar. You can now use Ecosia by searching directly from the tooltip
Change your homepage to Ecosia in Safari
- Click on Safari in the top Apple menu, and then select Preferences
- Next to New windows open with, open the drop down menu and select Homepage
- Next to New tabs open with, open the next drop down menu and select Homepage
- Type www.ecosia.org into the box next to Homepage
- Your changes are saved!
Once you have installed our MacApp extension, it will update with new features automatically.
Sign up to the newsletter to get notified about any future changes to Ecosia Mac App Extension, and updates regarding Ecosia becoming a default search option in Safari.
Which other browsers allow me to plant trees with Ecosia?
We want to thank you for searching and planting trees with Ecosia. We hope to offer a better alternative soon!